If you deleted your Instagram or your account was hacked, you can get it back. The editors of GeekMyGadget tell you how to restore Instagram and when you have to do it.
5 most common reasons why a page is restored
Here are five cases when you have to restore your Instagram profile.
If a user has violated the rules for using Instagram, then his page may be temporarily blocked. Access to the page is restricted when a person publishes prohibited content, spam (makes a mass mailing of promotional messages. – Note ed.), violates copyright, and so on. Another page is blocked when a person exhausts the limit of actions – the number of likes, subscriptions, and comments.
One action can be blocked, for example, the ability to like or comment. And they can prohibit the use of the entire page. This will be announced in the notification.
To find out what the restrictions are for, go to the Instagram settings on your phone. Select “Help” and then “Support Requests”.
Select the “Violations” section. There you can see publications that violate the guidelines of the social network.
Temporary blocking lasts from several hours to three weeks.
If you got into the ban
A ban is also imposed for violations of the rules for using the social network, but after it it is not always possible to recover. If the user constantly violates the rules, then the page is blocked forever. It can also be affected by complaints from other users.
If the profile owner proves that the hacker did the prohibited actions, then the page can be restored.
When you forgot your password or email
78% of users forget their passwords after 90 days. In this case, Instagram has a button “Forgot password” or “Help with logging in”. Along with passwords, users forget what email they used during registration. If you still have access to Instagram, then go to the settings, select the “Security” section, and change the password. An email will be sent to you to change your password. This way you will find the correct address.
You can restore access through your Facebook profile if it is linked to an Instagram page. Next, we will tell you in more detail how to do this.
If you have lost access or forgotten your password from the mail, then contact the technical support of the mail service. When the Instagram and Facebook profiles are not connected, and there is no access to mail or a phone number, then the page cannot be restored.
The solution to other problems with logging into Instagram can be found here.
If you have been hacked
An Instagram page can be hacked by ill-wishers or scammers. Accounts are stolen in order to: carry out financial fraud, steal personal data, view correspondence, send mailings and spam.
If the owner noticed that his page was hacked, then he needs to immediately change the password or contact the technical support of the site. If the moderators of the social network notice this, then they will change all the data. More such pages can be blocked.
If the page has been deleted
Instagram pages can be deleted temporarily and permanently. In the first case, the profile becomes inaccessible to all users. But you can return it at any time. And an account that has been permanently deleted cannot be restored. Technical support and other methods will not help. You will have to create a new page.
How to restore a page via phone and computer
Through the login page
1. Log into the app from your phone and enter your username and password.
2. If you don’t remember your password, click the Forgot Password or Login Help button. If you have the data, then immediately go to step 6.
3. Enter your username, email, or phone. Click next.
4. A link to reset the password will be sent to the specified address or contact. Follow it.
5. Update your password.
6. You will be prompted to restore your account. Press the confirmation button.
If you don’t remember your password, you can recover your account through Facebook.
1. Log in to the application from your phone and click the “log in with Facebook” button.
2. If Facebook requires, then enter your login information.
3. You will receive a password reset link to your email address. Follow it.
4. Reset your password and create a new one.
Important! You can use this method if your Instagram and Facebook profiles are linked.
1. Access the Instagram website through a computer browser and enter your username and password. If you have the data, then immediately go to step 6.
2. If you do not remember your password, then click the “Forgot Password” button.
3. Enter your username, email, or phone.
4. You will receive a link to reset your password by email or phone. Follow it.
5. Reset your password and create a new one.
6. You will be prompted to restore your account. Press the confirmation button.
How to recover an account that was hacked and the login information was changed
If your page has been hacked, try to restore access through the “Forgot password” or “Help with logging in” button. Follow the same path when you recover your password. If you gain access to the page, then immediately change the password.
If you have not received access, you can go the other way:
1. Go to Instagram on your phone and click the “Forgot password” or “Help signing in” button.
2. Enter your username, email, or phone number and click on the “Need more help” button. On the next page, click next.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen. Enter your personal information and another email.
5. An email will be sent to the post office asking you to confirm your identity. They may ask:
- take a photo with a passport;
- take a picture with the security code;
- give information about the phone model from which you previously logged into your account;
- specify the email of the hacked account;
- send photos that were posted in the account.
Important! If there were your personal photos in the account, where your face is clearly visible, then the page recovery will take place without problems.
Restoring a hacked page can be difficult: technical support does not always respond quickly, and sometimes the answer comes after a few weeks.
How to recover an account if it was banned
If your account has been banned, you will be notified by email. The letter writes the reason for the blocking and the number of the error. For a reason, it will become clear how you can restore Instagram.
For example, if the account was banned for copyright infringement, then the letter will indicate the contact details of the content author. You can contact him. If you manage to agree with the author, then ask him to report this in support of Instagram. He needs to send a letter with the error number and his consent.
Sometimes, in a letter, Instagram support immediately makes it clear that it will not work to restore the account.
If at the end of the letter, there is a link “let us know”, then the page can be restored. Follow this link. There you will find detailed information about the bathhouse and instructions for unlocking it.
Some users find a way out of this situation too: they pretend that the page has been hacked, and all prohibited actions were done by hackers. So you can go through the path of recovering a hacked page, which we described above, and return your account.
9 tips to protect your Instagram page from being hacked
Here are nine rules to prevent your account from being hacked and data stolen:
- Synchronize Instagram with Facebook. Link your email and phone number to your profile. Use an empty SIM card and mail that is not linked anywhere else. They are not hacked, as they are practically inactive.
- Create a strong password separately for each account. This will reduce the chances that fraudsters will gain access to your profile if the page is hacked on another site. Write down the password so you don’t forget.
- Save photos and videos you post to Instagram on your phone, computer, or cloud. So you can prove that the page is yours.
- Post at least two personal photos a year that clearly show your face. So the identity of the owner is confirmed faster.
- Post only your content. If you decide to use someone else’s, then coordinate it with the author. Screenshot the message with consent, and mark it on the publication.
- Do not install suspicious apps on your phone. Such applications may request access to a social network. Fraudsters often use this to gain access to data. Read the service description and reviews.
- Do not access your profile from third-party gadgets. They may contain dangerous virus files and applications.
- Update the software version in time and check your smartphone for viruses.
- Learn more Instagram rules so you don’t break them.